Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Convicted Murderer Jodi Arias, Should she live or die?

Convicted Murderer Jodi Arias, Should she live or die?

Waiting those last few minutes before hearing the verdict I imagined what we would witness as Jodi learned the verdict. I imagined her flipping out and getting zapped by a deputy, I imagined her breaking down and saying no-no-no, I imagined her passing out.

What I did not expect was the solemn face of a woman more logically expected from a person who just learned she was getting fired from a part time job she worked one day a week, as opposed to a woman who just found out she was charged with first degree murder. 

What could possibly explain this woman and her lack of emotion, she was calm and relatively unfazed. Is it possible that she willed herself to remain calm? Had she already came to terms with her fate? For someone such as herself that proclaims to live a life guided by "The Secret" it would seem somewhat implausible that she was expecting the worst.  I have a nagging feeling that what we saw in that motionless face of hers was a glimpse into the soul of who she really is. Was that the same cold, emotionless face that Travis saw in his last moments of life?

When you see these trials and you watch the defendant hear the fate voted on by their peers you usually see someone who is devastated, broken. I guess maybe that's a sign of regret or remorse in the most primal example, in that moment where time must almost seem to stand still while realization sinks in and your natural emotions are unable to be contained, your response to that verdict in my opinion is a window peering straight into the soul.

I keep replaying the voice of Jodi saying "No jury will ever convict me". How those words must be a looming, constant reminder to her that her mouth is almost as deadly as her hands. She sealed her fate in my opinion when the jury heard those words and saw all the evidence then retreated to that jury room to deliberate, how those 6 words must have hung in the air like a rancid putrid smell.  Even more telling to me in many ways than her reaction to the verdict is the fact that after she heard the ruling, and everyone was crying, shocked, hugging all the things that people in that gallery were doing, she got up and walked straight out of the courtroom and never once turned back to see how her family was holding up. She had no more concern for her Mother than she had for Travis the day she left him dead in that shower stall and turned around and walked out of that house.

So back to the question posed in the title of this post...Life or Death? What does she deserve? If you default to the wishes of the Alexander family then it is clear that nothing less than death is in order. If you believe that no human person should be put to death than clearly you believe life is in order.
My heart wants to see her die, but my logic tells me that death would be a gift to someone who so yearns for attention and art and the support of strangers to boost her ego and reinforce to her that what she did was justified and excusable. So as I sit torn I leave it up to the people who have the power to make that decision, and so far their actions have renewed my faith in our justice system, I am certain they will come to a conclusion that will punish her accordingly.
On a final note, I would like to say that I have lost all respect for Jennifer Willmott and Kirk Nurmi, they have shown zero respect for the Alexander family and have conspired with Arias to slander and defame the character and name of the victim. That is something that is beyond excusable, it is in my opinion criminal.
 
Jodi Arias on the stand smiling....it's show time!


Jodi Arias whispering in Jennifer Willmott's ear
 
Jodi Arias as she hears her verdict of GUILTY
 

No comments:

Post a Comment